Friday, June 09, 2006

minority group

Oh, oral contraceptive pill, my old friend. Soon we shall meet again.

How I have missed the familiar rattle of your foil sheets; their fresh tinselly promise. So familiar. So strangely comforting.

Hmph. Whatever.

Strangely enough, it wasn't the well-documented absurdity of going back on the pill in order to make a baby that bothered me when I filled my prescription this afternoon, readying myself to start a-poppin' in a few days.

No, it was more to do with the packaging.

We all know how greedy drug companies are, don't we? I mean, there are like six different varieties of N*urofen, but they're all just I*boprofen, right?

So how come none of them have bothered to market a special IVF version of the pill? How come I have to go in there and get the regular four month's supply instead of just one?

And what is more - and I reserve the right to get a little petty here (and I certainly am being ridiculously petty) - Why should I have to put up with the woman at the chemist saying to me: Ooh, you'll need to make sure you get repeats next time; and having to reply: I don't need any repeats. It's for IVF (you stupid bitch)?

I didn't say the last bit out loud, of course.

The whole thing is kind of offensive in some way, don't you think? It's like saying we don't exist. God, we may be infertile, but aren't we valuable little consumers too? We deserve our very own product as much as the next person.

Capitalism should at least grant us that, right?

12 Comments:

At 11:05 PM, Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

I still can't get my head around the fact you have to take bcps to get pregnant but then it's all part of the absurdity of IF isn't it?

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that in Germany BCPs are commonly referred to the "Anti-Baby-Pille"? Makes you, uh, wonder.

I think there's entirely too much irony in the IF world.

Irony has strangely lost its appeal for me.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I freaked when my doctor recommended the pill to regulate my cycle right before we tried Clomid, and refused to do it because it seemed so contrary to what I needed. I thought that it would remove that very small chance that we could do it on our own. Good luck!

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger M said...

does the bcp taking have to do with achieving optimum hormonal balance?? It *does* seem weird that noone has marketed the ivf version!!

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

I can't believe someone hasn't jumped on that idea. It's so hard to resign yourself to taking the pill when you want to get pregnant - even if you do know why. :) Take care.

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger Serenity said...

I'm with Em... during my IVF cycle I was never able to get my head around taking birth control pills in order to get pregnant.

So I wholly agree that the whole thing is offensive and ironic and just plain ridiculous. But if it does the job, I suppose it'll all be worth it.

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger projgen said...

There are many things I don't like about my clinic, but they do give the bcp's themselves. There was no going to a pharmacy and having a stupid scrip filled. I only got as many pills as I needed, from the clinc nurse who knew better than to make ANY comments, even jokes, so was much better.

Even though I shouldn't have been on the damn things in the first place, since I keep reading how they're contra-indicated for older patients. But that's another rant.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Lut C. said...

Yeah well, I dislike buying folic acid more. It just screams TTC and invite chirpy comments.

In the end, big pills, small pills, round pills, flat pills, whatever. As long as it works.

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg- I know- what's up with that? They should have a BCP pack that says "IVF Pack" or something like that. Then no one would have to answer stupid questions or put up with stupid comments like "the refill comment".

I must say though, that I am so happy that you are starting your cycle soon so that we can get this show on the road!

When you get a chance, update us on your protocol, will you? God knows I need something to obsess over! LOL!

XOXO

-Kelly

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep you're right- we deserve that and more! Some enterprising entrepeneur should jump on that bandwagon and make themselves a shitload....
AND
What's with our little cycle bags? Do you get the groovy black one or the yellow/blue one? I think I'm going to put in a request for groovy black one this cycle; I need somewhere to store my unfinished craft projects....

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Shauna said...

Huh. I've never been told to go back on the pill but I know that it's standard protocol before IVF here too.

However, here we can buy pills 1 month at a time if we want to. I was surprised you have to buy 4 months at a time.

Truthfully a big part of me misses the no guess, no nonsense aspect of the pill. I knew how long my cycles would be etc. However, it is a pretty hard slap to the face when I think about how I took them religiously for years in order to avoid pregnancy.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

They gave me just 1 month for my last cycle, maybe I lucked out on the pharmacist.

I think prenatal vitamins are missing a trick too. Instead of that happy glowing woman with the big stomach they could have one of us and offer 10% of a bottle of vodka when you buy two packs together....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home