Sunday, April 16, 2006

prank

Happy Tourist Day


Remember prank phone calls?

I made them as a teenager. Most of us did, right?

The difference was, mine were annoying and harmless.

Last night, between 2:30 and 4am we got some basic hang-up pranks. But after we took the phone off the hook, they started leaving messages:

Yes, they swore.
Yes, they swore at us.
Yes, they used a creepy male Scream voice.
Yes, they used our names.

(Though I imagine they just got them from the answering machine message)

I am trying hard to laugh about it. But it wasn’t very funny.

In fact, it kind of scared me, and I have spent most of today trying to think of comebacks should they call back again tonight. I even considered changing the message on the answering machine in order to address them directly.

I know I really shouldn't let some drunk teenage fuckwits get the better of me, but I actually feel really invaded.

Why would somebody do this? Sure, I understand the mentality of the Gotcha Call – infantile as it is – and I can even comprehend the sadistic amusement of getting someone out of bed at that hour of the morning.

But why would you dial a random number and threaten people you don’t even know?

What is fun about that?

6 Comments:

At 1:45 AM, Blogger Shauna said...

That would have freaked me out too. Just for future reference you may want to take your names off of your voicemail greeting. I've heard that you shouldn't given first or last names on those. I guess for reasons just like this.

Hope it doesn't happen again tonight.

 
At 2:56 AM, Blogger Thalia said...

It sounds awful, I hope they don't do it again. Can you trace the call? Report them?

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Thanks for well-wishes, girls. We were prank-call-free last night,so I guess they got bored after one night. Very glad.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger beagle said...

I am sorry that you experienced that . . . glad they've given up.

Do you have that phone feature where you can punch in a code and get the last number that called you?

That *would* have been my advice if they had continued.

May you have restful nights instead!

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger beagle said...

I am sorry that you experienced that . . . glad they've given up.

Do you have that phone feature where you can punch in a code and get the last number that called you?

That *would* have been my advice if they had continued.

May you have restful nights instead!

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger beagle said...

I hate it when I get so mouse click happy! Sorry for the double post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home