Tuesday, May 09, 2006

not all ok

I finally gave in this afternoon and tried to talk to someone.

And I hated it. I felt contrived. I felt dramatic. I felt like I was exploiting this tragedy. I felt like I have no right to need counselling. I felt like I was being a pathetic, self-pitying whinger.

And so I pretty much froze up.

I know they were trying to help. But there's nothing anyone can tell me that I don't already know. I can be my own counsellor. All I need to do is look in the mirror and repeat the arguments to myself:

I know that no one ends their life just because of an exam. I know that I couldn't have helped him when he asked me - it wouldn't have been fair. I know that my teaching, or infertility-distracted lack thereof, would not have been a make or break factor in his decision. I know that there so many other, bigger reasons.

And I also know I would probably be dealing with it better if I didn't have so many other things on my mind.

Which is part of the problem I guess.

Have you ever felt like you just needed to cry? But that you just couldn't get it physically out of you? Instead, you function. I use that expression Medicating Busy-ness.

You write lists. You walk around with a tight ball inside your throat. You find yourself momentarily staring at the wall. You have random outbursts when someone bumps into you in the hall, or you realise you have run out of milk, or you can't find the CD player in the staffroom, like happened to me today.

That's where I've been at. Mostly ok, I guess. But not all. And not always.

Zombie-land.

And no, I don't want to talk about it.

6 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, Blogger Victoria said...

Wow. You're really going through some big issues here. I hope my advice isn't too trivial. But you need to cry. Even if you pretend it's not about the suicide. You need to cry. Watch a movie that you know makes you cry. Two if you need to. Just get it out. It's the startof healing.

 
At 2:38 AM, Blogger soralis said...

I am so sorry that you have to deal with so much. Sending you a big hug.

Take care

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Lut C. said...

I haven't experienced anything like this. I can only imagine what you're going through.

Functioning on auto-pilot, we've all been there. And I for one feel that IF has lowered my ability to deal with any additional stress factors.

Take care of yourself.

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger beagle said...

You don't have to talk about it until you want to. Grief is not one size fits all.

I've had times when I wanted or needed to cry and couldn't and what finally triggered the waterfall was some stupid sappy movie. Not sure if you can force that to work, but it's my only idea: a sappy movie marathon.

Thinking of you Meg, sorry this hurts so bad.

 
At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Commenting here for the first time. I am so sorry. I wish I had wiser words. I hope you find some peace and strength.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Cass said...

This has come at the worst time for you (not that there's ever a good time for someone to take their life). It never rains, but it pours...

I'm no good with counsellors either. Perhaps you need to try something more concrete than talking, like relaxation exercises.

All my love. All of it. Seriously. No more for other people, it's just for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home