Friday, May 12, 2006

.

I feel I owe you all a coherent post, and I have been trying to write it for several hours.

But I don't know where to start.

R's funeral was today. It was awful. Inexpressably, hideously, cruelly awful. I don't know how to even begin to describe it: How it was to see the casket as it passed me, the unbearable sadness of the photos of him as a six-year-old in a gold paper crown.

And I could tell you now all the things I wish I could've said or done to change things. All the things I regret. But as my husband (beautiful and supportive as ever) said to me this afternoon when he held me shaking: Everyone who cared about him will be thinking those things, Meg. It doesn't mean they're true.

And I did care about R.

All you teachers out there will understand this:

R. was different.

Number one, he was physically very different, as a result of a genetic condition he was born with. He also had a severe visual impairment that made reading and writing extremely difficult for him.

But number 2, R. had been difficult. In the past anyway. Not just run-of-the-mill difficult, but serious difficult. Offensive, dangerous difficult. Hostile, angry, even disturbed. And we don't have a hell of a lot of those kids at my school.

Fortunately, by the time I knew him, he had mellowed out. He had "found God" - in fact was a leader at a local evangelical church- and was vehemently promoting drug use as a consciousness-expander amongst his peers.

It sounds funny, but he really was.

R. was a real character.

And I was really fond of him. My mum has called it a special interest. And she is right. R was very opinionated, and highly articulate and intelligent. He constantly challenged both me and his peers on our ideas about the text or the issue being studied. He made our English classes interesting, bursting out as he did with his strong, sometimes out-there ideas. Creating delicious argument among kids who are so used to sitting silently and accepting.

R. was truly, truly one of a kind. You don't forget kids like that.

Instead, you just wish you had the time to thank them.

So there it is, I guess, out in the internet, his safe place:

Thank you, R.

Thank you so much.

11 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful eulogy. You should send this to his parents - truly. Take care Meg.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Cass said...

Dude, don't make me cry for a dead boy I never met...he reminds me of what we hope our kids will be if only they can fit in enough to get by...

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

It is good that you feel like you are coming through the other side and are able to process things a bit. I agree, that his parents would probably appreciate reading this as he sounds like he was a really special person. Take care.

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger soralis said...

Sounds like you are starting the healing process. Take care and what a beautiful tribute.

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger beagle said...

Very thoughtful post.

Also rather thought provoking.

It makes me wonder what is going on on the inside of all the different and difficult people I know and have known.

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger x said...

That is beautiful, the way you are remembering him. I am crying for you, R and his family. You truly cared and that is what matters.

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger Melina said...

You're a beautiful person and that was a beautiful post...can't say much more than that.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger M said...

yes, those children are truly special... I wish this would have ended differently.

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

What a beautiful tribute. I am so sorry for the loss of your student. Suicide is hardest on the people that it leaves behind. I too have very personal experience with it.

R. was very lucky to have a teacher that cared so much. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you begin the healing process.

 
At 3:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was very beautiful, Meg. I'm sure his parents would love to read your tribute.

I hope you are doing okay... *hugs*

Love,

Kelly

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Thalia said...

I'm glad you've got such good memories of R, and such an ability to write them and share them. I hope you are surviving this weekend ok.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home